Pages

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Where am I, Seattle?

Rain, rain, rain.


I have never seen it rain so much in Richmond. It reminds me of when my family moved to Baltimore, Maryland when I was sixteen. Except that was fall/winter. I had never seen it rain so much and be so dreary. 


Actually, that was totally worse than this summer. And I'm not exactly complaining. I like overcast, rainy days. Snuggling up with books and coffee (wait, what? That never happens any more.) I guess I like a nice balance between sunny days and rainy ones. That means I'm in luck, because that is what this summer is like in Richmond. R.V.A.

Today was another baking day. 

 
This morning we went to they gym and then came home for lunch / naps, and then this afternoon we baked since I can't think of anything else for us to do. Sophie assisted and ended up covered in a lot of chocolate, which didn't bother her. Charlie ate Cheerios and played with toys in his high chair. He is so easy to please and just loves to be involved. 


While we cooked, it started pouring down rain and storming. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. 

Or under the table.

We wanted to make Granny M.'s delicious Chocolate Cake, one of my husband's favorites, but we didn't have the ingredients. So we made this one instead. 


It turned out pretty good -- moist and chocolatey. Kind of crunchy on top but the rest is perfect.

Devil's Food Cake

("Vicky Valencourt is the debbil Bobby Boucher!")


Oops got sidetracked. Yeah, I stole that image. And what a great one of our Waterboy.

As I was saying...

Devil's Food Cake

Ingredients
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour 
  • 1 teaspoon salt 
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder 
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda 
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 
  • 2 cups sugar 
  • 1 cup vegetable oil 
  • 1 cup hot coffee 
  • 1 cup milk 
  • 2 large eggs 
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla (I didn't have any muhnilla, as Sophie says).
  • I added chocolate chips to the batter
Directions
  • In short, mix all that stuff up. You can see an extended explanation on how to do this if you need further instruction here where I found the recipe. There is also a recipe for frosting. I didn't try that. As of now it has no frosting. If I frost it, it will be my delish buttercream.
  • Cook for 45 minutes (give or take, use your nose and check it) on 325.
If you try this cake, let me know.

(The aftermath, as seen here. Had to wash somebody's shirt in the sink for fear of stains on our Mini Boden.)


Happy rainy sunny summer day! xoxoxoxoxo

ev


No comments:

Post a Comment

© Eavie RVA. Powered by